Musicians I Know: Chris Paquette

Chris Paquette is my non-biological brother and one of my longest-lasting friendships.  He and I were born six days apart. His dad is the mutual friend who introduced my parents to each other.  Chris and I grew up together.  Chris started playing alto saxophone in grade school, but found his real musical calling in percussion in his teenage years.  He has been keeping the beat ever since.  An accomplished musician, Chris has played with acts covering a broad spectrum of genres and styles.  Although he moved to Chicago nearly two decades ago, we have kept in touch and jammed whenever we've had a moment.  As an amateur, it's a real privilege for me to get to play with a "real musician" from time to time.  I was honored when Chris agreed to play percussion at my wedding during a short Eager Anxiety set (my folk-rock duo).

As a player, Chris possesses that magical combination of speed and consistency that makes him a deeply talented professional and a real joy to watch.  Chris is based in Chicago, but has traveled extensively to play for audiences around the country and the world. 

So, to launch my "Musicians I Know" series, I present my interview with the amazing Chris Paquette.  Keep up with him here and see him live sometime when you're in Chicago.  It's a treat, no matter who he's playing with.

----------

What are your earliest musical memories?

Singing songs maybe? There is a photo of me in diapers playing with mallets on a xylophone. But I don’t remember it really. 

Songs:
I Heard It Through the Grapevine - Marvin Gaye
I'm Bad - Michael Jackson
Here Comes the Sun - The Beatles


What music did you grow up on?

It's a mix of experiences.  My dad would show me [a lot of] music, from jazz to Gregorian chants to rocking the Beatles in the car on long trips.
My mom loves rock and blues music. She sang in a community gospel choir, so I grew up going to the rehearsals and later played in the band.

What is it you like about your favorite music group(s)?  What draws you to their music?

Rhythm and mood and the sound of voices.  

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Are we talking today’s woodchucks? 'Cuz they ain't the same as they used to be... 

What’s the first album that you owned that was yours (and not shared with your parents or another family member)?

Duke Ellington.  My mom bought a stereo and we went to Target, which was nearby, to “pick ONE!” CD.  It was awkward to show my friends that night; we always listened to hip-hop or rock.

When and how did you decide that you wanted to play hand drums and other percussion instruments?

Well, I tell people that I remember going to an Elton John concert as a kid with my mom, aunt, uncle, and cousins.  I fell asleep.  Concerts and really exciting atmospheres tend to make me pass the f out. I don’t understand why, but you know as well that I have done this.*  Embarrassing really, lol.  Anyway, halfway through the show, the percussionist takes a solo and commands a stadium of people to follow along with his conga solo. It inspired me you could say.

But then there were also experiences at camp with my church as a counselor, where I got the chance to play some drums before I had any of my own.  And then seeing a local percussionist play a couple times made me see what it looked like.  So I think all of these experiences contributed. 

Playing with friends and a band in high school made me see the value in it. 

Meeting my teacher eventually, after years of just teaching myself, made me see the longevity in it.

You’ve played many different musical genres.  Do you enjoy the variety or do you go where the work is?

I do enjoy the variety and also go where the money is.  It depends.  There are some gigs that are more important than money. And then there are a lot of good money gigs that will win the tug of war over the lower paying ones.

What are some your favorite things about the different genres you work in?

Well, in the most recent reggae group, “heavyweightdub!”, that I played in, I enjoyed playing the Nyabinghi Kete drum. Totally different than the usual, if there is a usual. 

Then with acoustic gigs, where there is no drummer, I have developed a hybrid percussion setup over the years that is fun. 

And, of course, I love my role as the percussionist in bands where there is a drummer and a full rhythm section and more.

Peanut butter: crunchy or smooth?  If neither, what fills the role of peanut butter in your life?

Usually smooth, because I would have already gotten white bread. But if I'm gonna do something weird, like wheat for a PBJ, then crunchy, 'cuz at that point anything goes.

 

Which groups/artists are you currently working with?
  • Abraham Mellish - singer-songwriter from Liberia
  • Koku Gonza - American-Tanzanian singer-songwriter 
  • Obi Soulstar - American-Nigerian singer-songwriter (rock/Afrobeat)
  • Tukkiman (who I've very recently done some SOFAR gigs with) - singer-songwriter from Senegal
  • A reoccurring party/event titled “Afri à Trois,” where I play with a DJ
  • The Midnight Sun Band - a ten piece R&B/Soul/Funk cover band
  • A couple different wedding groups
What makes them fun to work with?

The singer-songwriters are fun for me because I love my role as the only drummer; we sound good because it’s often just two or three of us.

The party, Afri à Trois, is fun because it's a good vibe, where people just dance; the energy is always positive and feel-good. 

The Midnight Sun band has made me a better player in all ways. Recently, we have been doing tributes (the way we used to before our bass player passed away 5 years ago).  The tributes we did recently were: 
  • The Jacksons
  • Earth, Wind, and Fire
  • Superfly (we showed the movie too) - Curtis Mayfield 
  • Marvin Gaye
  • James Brown 
And a few more...

You’ve done some serious international travel in the past few years, with Koku Gonza and independently.  Where have you been?

France.  Hong Kong.  Tanzania.

What have been the most inspiring, spontaneous, and/or exciting things about your musical travels?
  • The amazing castles in France.
  • The huge Buddhas in China.
  • The Pyramids and Sphinx in Cairo, Egypt (on a ten-hour layover).
  • The Maasai tribe in Zanzibar.
  • I got to witness Koku meet family for the first time in Tanzania.
  • The people who became friends. 
  • The food. The food. The food.
What are your most and least favorite smells?

Most favorite: Incense.  Food.
Least favorite: Chemicals.  Bodily fluids.

Any exciting gigs, tours, or special events in the near future?

Nothing too exciting coming up. The school year is finishing up, so the dance school where I work as an accompanist has the end-of-the-year recital soon.  I already finished my residency teaching.  The summer has a future of wedding gigs and such.

Spontaneous human combustion.  Thoughts? 

I lightweight think about it when I pull into gas stations.  Seems like the kinda place.  Hell of a way to go out.  I'd take it over some though.

----------
*Chris and I saw Genesis in Chicago during their brief reunion tour in 2007; Chris did indeed pass the f out, but woke up for the drum duet between Phil Collins and Chester Thompson, which was - naturally - his favorite part of the show.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Musicians I Know: Nathan Griner

This Old Guitar

One of My Favorite Albums Turns 50 This Year