I Don't Know If This Is A Good Idea

I don't know if this is a good idea.  I've decided to launch a music blog and this is my inaugural entry.  I mean, I know how badly the Internet needs more blogs fueled by arbitrary opinions - they are such a scarce resource - but I'm not sure anyone will read it.  And that's okay, I suppose.  I have a few reasons for undertaking this potentially doomed enterprise; attracting wide readership is not one of them.

So why do this?  A valid question.  The first reason is that I like to write.  Sometimes I'm even good at it.  Furthermore, I like to write about things that matter to me.  Music is one of those things.  And sometimes I like to share things I write about things that matter to me.  This is not say there'll be any takers, but I hold out the appetizer tray nonetheless.

Secondly, I feel that this blog will be easier to write than my other blog.  My other blog is about public policy and politics.  While I love these topics and have much to say on them, I like to be reasonably careful about what I say and how I say it.  I try to carefully craft each entry I write.  Music is a more subjective topic that requires less research and deliberation (at least for me).  I'll also be writing here with a less formal style than the other blog or my day job(s).  It will be nice to stretch those muscles.  There will be sarcasm, maybe even swears.

I will write about creating, performing, and appreciating music.  I am an amateur musician (guitar/songwriting/vocals) and I don't usually get through a day without listening to music.  Although I'm an eighties child, I grew up on the late 1960s/early 1970s rock and folk that my parents loved, so this music tends to inform my sensibilities.  This isn't to say that I am only committed to this type of music; I'm open to a lot of things.  It is to say, however, that Gordon Lightfoot and the Moody Blues have a special place in my heart AND I DON'T CARE WHO KNOWS IT.  I DON'T GIVE A S**T!

Sorry, er, what were we talking about again?  Oh yes, what I'm going to write about and if it will appeal to you.  I'll write about topics both accessible and obscure.  One entry might be a simple review of an album I like; the next might be about modulation pedals for the guitar.  One of these may appeal to you.  Or none.  That's okay.  If you're reading any of this blog at all, it's already succeeding beyond my expectations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This Old Guitar

Musicians I Know: Nathan Griner

One of My Favorite Albums Turns 50 This Year