This Old Guitar

There are three main reasons that I play guitar.  Two of them are Gordon Lightfoot and The Moody Blues, respectively.  The most important reason is my dad.  As a child, I remember hearing and watching him play his 12-string guitar.  When he and his college friends/bandmates (including my uncle) reunited for a church fundraiser in 1989, I was mesmerized.  In family videos of that show, you can see this little kid in a bowl cut and a "Moos Brothers" sweatshirt (cow-based pun on the Blues Brothers) wandering around in front of the stage, staring up at dad & co.  Guess who.

My dad has been a skilled finger-picker as long as I can remember.  He could really make that 12-string jangle as he played old folk tunes.  When I was 10, I decided that I wanted to start guitar lessons.  On the night of my first guitar lesson, my dad let me try out his guitar before we left.  It was enormous and I could barely get my arms around the body. 

Over the years, I have developed a deep love and appreciation of this instrument, not only for its sonic and aesthetic qualities, but because it carries with it those formative memories.  As I got older and learned enough to keep up with my dad, we would play our two guitars together.  We occasionally traded instruments for a song or two, just to try something different.  Whenever I played his 12-string, I always had a sense of holding something special.  I still get that feeling today.  The instrument embodies, in a sense, the deep musical bond I feel with my father.  I will always love it for that reason.

I have borrowed it several times over the years as I don't have my own 12-string acoustic.  Sometimes I just need that sound.  This latest round of borrowing has lasted a few years now.  My dad bought two new guitars in the past few years - one 6-string and another 12-string - so he said I can hold onto this one for now.  Although this may make it mine in some de facto way, I still very much think of it as "dad's guitar."  I am, at best, its devoted custodian.

For anyone who care about labels and specs, it's a 1968 Gibson Heritage 12-string with a dreadnought body, spruce top (I think?), mahogany neck, and Brazilian rosewood back and sides.  It's a beautiful instrument.  It has aged well, adding warm resonance to that full 12-string sound.  I tend to strum with it or do basic finger-picked arpeggio (I never could master sophisticated finger-picking like my dad has) and it handles both styles very well.

Reading a description is one thing.  Hearing is another.  You can hear this instrument in action here (with Eager Anxiety, my duet act) or here (with just me).

Comments

  1. It is officially yours, now, Patrick. It has a good home and caretaker. Play on! Love, your dad.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Musicians I Know: Nathan Griner

One of My Favorite Albums Turns 50 This Year